Direct Tv - DirecTV - Equipment Non Return Fiasco

2880 of 3862 Direct Tv Reviews
Issue not resolved
Apr 27, 2010
review #179938

OK folks, first of all let me say it takes a lot for a company to anger me to the point of senseless complaining on the web, but in this case I'm livid and I want anyone that has or is considering DirecTV service to be aware of this situation. If nothing else it will help you protect yourself at some point in the future.

So we were loyal DirecTV customers for 11 years. Got our first satellite dish and receiver with money we received from wedding gifts. At that time there were two companies DirecTV and USSB who later combined into what is now DirecTV. Over the years we went through many changes with them, including this BS where despite paying heavily upfront for a new receivers and having to sign contract extensions, they claim you only lease the boxes from them.

So when we moved to our new home, we cancelled our DirecTV service. We were still under contract (this is kinda BS too but that's another story) so we had to pay a $200 termination fee. No problem we paid the final bill in full on April 21 and were done with them, or so we thought. You see part of the cancellation process is you have to return the leased equipment to them. They sent us a prepaid box, I shipped the boxes back to them and according to both DirecTV and FedEx, they received the equipment on April 6.

So on April 22 (after I had paid our final bill), DirecTV added a non-return of equipment fee to our account of $448.80!!! They also immediately charged my debit card $148.80 as part of that and sent us notice of an outstanding balance of $300.00 and sent us a email notice stating our bill was past due $300 on April 23!! So I've been on the phone all day with DirecTV trying to get the Visa charge reversed. They refuse to do so. Instead they want to credit our DirecTV account (which they say takes 5 business days) and then I have to call back and request a credit to my Visa card which could take up to another week! In the meantime, my checking account is missing $!50 it should have, DirecTV refuses to do anything to assist and won't cover any NSF charges if they were to occur (which they won't only because I am fortunate enough to have reserves to draw on). They also refused to provide me with the address of their corporate offices even after I told them it was information I needed for the complaint I'm filing with the Federal Trade Commission regarding them.

So I've filed my complaint with the FTC, I've also disputed the charge with my bank since these charges were not authorized (I was notified by DirecTV in writing that the automatic billing had been discontinued at the end of March). This charge is fraudulent and they refuse to take the proper action which is an immediate reversal of the charge. If you are considering a switch to DirecTV, I'd strongly urge you to consider AT&T U-Verse or Dish Network first. After 11 years of being their customer, I'm pretty disgusted by how I'm being treated. To anyone I've encouraged over the years to switch to DirecTV, I'm sorry, I never knew they were this bad.

c20205b
Had an experience with Direct Tv?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
2880 of 3862 Direct Tv Reviews
Jonathan Wilson

Jul 01

I have a collection agency calling me for $400 for boxes I already returned 6 months ago.

Jocelyn Giles

Nov 02, 2012

I completely understand your frustration last year they pulled thriple payments for my bill out of my account and refused to return any money they said there records indicated only one payment each month recieved. I ended up having to get proof from my bank send it to them and contact better business bureau. It took 3 months and they did not return the money they only credited the money to my account.

Then I spent 6 months without a working box they insisted it was my tv not their box and after paying the $5.99 service what ever it is. They tried charging me $150.00 to come out and fix it. I had a tv repair man out to check the tv costing my $25.00 and then directtv finally did a service call and admitted it was a cord to their box that was burnt.... They refused to refund me the $25.00 and took me an entire day on the phone to drop the $150.00 call charge... What a waist of my precious time! DIRECT TV your service is ***! from your customer of 4 years

Laurie

Oct 22, 2012

After suffering with DirecTv for our entire 2 yr. agreement - I was finally able to cancel it. I returned the boxes just like instructed and now, just like others, am being charged for "non-returned" equipment. Has anyone had any luck getting these charges dropped? I don't have their equipment and I just want to be DONE with them.

gregory dearth

May 02, 2012

They sent me one box to somehow stuff 3 receicers into and I received notice a month later that a collection agency now wants about $700. No phone calls from direct tv. Guess I will have to sort it out and send the equipment to them somehow. Might be a good idea to pay for ups to deliver it so I can confirm receipt.

Ginab

Mar 20, 2012

For me it was the tech who took the damage recevier and he never called it into Directv.Still trying to straighten out.

Alma

Jan 20, 2012

On Jan. 18, 2012 I contacted direct TV for new service after rushing a long time with them getting all my information and running a credit report they finally set me up for installation for Jan 20. On jan 20 th I received a phone call from a direct TV rep telling me they were cancellong my service order due to sn outstanding balance on 640 some dollars from service thru them a while back for unreturned equipment. Well when our last bill was pain I'm full we received the equipment boxes from them, equipment was returned thru Fed Ex and then next thing we are being charged for that equipment they state it was never received when in fact it was. Now for this new account they charged 21.50 on my bank debit card I asked them since they Re not providing me with any service they should refund that to my account well the girl on the phone was a very rude person who just told me they would not refund my money because it was charge for shipping of my equipment. Well I never even got a person at my doorstep so what equipment are they charging for so she said its not their problem the equipment was delivered to their employee and now they are not using it at my house so the 21.50 is not refundable, she said call your bank or credit card holder and handle it thru them which I immediately did and I also filed a complain with the better business bureau. After I told the direct tv employee about md filing complains she started laughing and said do what ever you want to do but unless you pay... Show more

Pam

Nov 29, 2011

Just got off phone w/Directv for 2nd time in a week...they say they rec'd my "cards" from my receivers on Nov 9th but claim they never got my equipment back. I was not aware there were "cards" inside the equipment to remove and ship back-I don't want their *** laying around my house, taking up space, why would I keep it if I cancelled service? What use is it? Why would I want to keep it if it will only cost me money ($270)? Common sense is something that Directv does NOT have. Customer service are short with me, treat me like a dumb female. The installer tore my guttering off my house when he installed the dish so if they want to play games, I can have someone come fix my guttering and send them the bill. I also put a dispute on the charge they put on my credit card after being told if I cancel before a month is up, I don't owe a dime. I cancelled after a few days. I could keep going and going...next phone call, I'm asking for a supervisor.

ana

Oct 06, 2011

That happened to me as well,please if anyone has the phone number of federal trade commission ????I make a complaint direct tv only steals people

Larry, Anacortes, WA

Sep 07, 2011

Same story sort of...When I left my previous address in another state and moved here, they said I still had a contract and I paid $75 for a "relocation fee." At my new address they were unable to install my service (I live on a boat now.) I spent hours on the phone incurring time charges and they sent the technician out twice, only to have him say, "The office doesn't know what they are doing." I was told my $75 would be credited to my debit card, but it never has been. My bill was paid up in full before disconnecting service and moving. I was told to take my box with me to my new home. I called several times only to wait and wait long periods of time and having to repeat my information over and over. Somehow, they figure I still owe them, even though they are unable to provide service at my new location. Now this has shown up on my credit negatively.
I will ship box return receipt requested and put all of the numbers on it. Thanks for address in Memphis. Anyone want to start a class action law suit against DIRECTV, I'll join it readily.

Lindsay

Aug 31, 2011

I;ve been going through all this crazyness with DirecTV as well and I FINALLY got my $667 back! This is how, they charged my debit card for the equipment that I now "own" according to them and absolutely refused to help me. I was willing to pay it but couldn't afford the lump sum all at once. They were a nightmare to deal with, so, I contacted my bank. I never gave DirecTV permission to charge my card, they only had the card # bc I paid the monthly bill online. My bank said it was fraud since I had not authorized the transaction. So, this was about 4 weeks ago, my bank gave my $ back while they were disputing the charges for me. I got a notice sent to me today that DirecTV credited my account for the $667 and there is no longer a balance. I can't imagine how many other ppl are going through this with them but if you are, call your bank asap, they WILL help you to get your money back from them! Good luck!

BP

Aug 30, 2011

Returned my equipment to the Post Office almost 3 weeks ago. Still getting phone calls and emails saying my equipment has not been returned. Also, trying to get any answers from customer service is a nightmare. I am put on hold for a minute or two every time I ask a question.

Beverly Bowers

Aug 28, 2011

I have had this same experience. I signed up for Direct TV, it never worked and the billing plan I agree to went from $77 a month for $235. They said after 3 months of paying that amount I would recieve a check back if I remember to call them with this secret number to request the check. This is the weirdest place to do business. I ended up try to work with them for a year and then just cancelled. I am still trying to get my return box kit. They did charge my credit card $480. But I told them I would keep the service and pay that month. So they put the money back into my account less the monthly fee of $77 (finally) as soon as the money was back I reported my card stolen and got a new credit card number. I am still fighting the fight. Do we have to return the dish too?

Isn't there some class action we could all file.

Dale

Aug 16, 2011

thanks for all the in-put, I was thinking of signing up with direct tv, but after all the complaints, which all have the same tone, ya'll got my attention...went thru somthing similar with certified security.
Thanks Again!

Kaitlin

Aug 16, 2011

I moved into a new home and asked DirectTv to come hook up the cable, yay! So they get there and say they can't do it... there's a large tree in the way. So I end up having to cancel the service with a confirmation of cancelation, after a few months I suddenly get phone calls about non payment. Come to find out they had been continuing to bill me $80 a month for the past four months at an address I no longer lived at and to my knowledge no longer had any hook up of any kind. Finally call and get well if you cancel we'll still have to bill you. Wait what do you mean IF I cancel, I already did, and YOU can't hook up at my new place! So I end up owing them over $400 + fees for service that was canceled at an address I no longer lived at!

ARETHA

Jun 30, 2011

DIRECTV HAS PROMISED TO SEND ME A RETURN KIT FOR OVER A YEAR AND I HAVE SEARCHED THEIR WEB SITE FOR THE RETURN ADDRESS WITH NO SUCCESS. I THINK THEY PURPOSELY OMIT THIS INFORMATION TO CHARGE YOU FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND SHOULD YOU REFUSE TO PAY THEY REPORT IT TO THE CREDIT BUREAU. I WILL NEVER USE THEIR SERVICE AGAIN. SO, BUYERS BEWARE....

Address for Return

4600 Pleasant Hill Road
Memphis, TN 38118

diane

Mar 27, 2011

I'll keep it short and sweet, every thing these guys are saying is true. I've had the same experience almost to the letter that they had. I strongly recommend NOT ever going with DirecTv!! :(

Bryan

Jan 31, 2011

Yes, I had a bad experience w/ DirecTV as well. I called to cancel my service and they asked if I wanted to transfer my service to my new location and I said no. Instead of canceling my service altogther, they kept my account open and stated they were waiting to hear back from me further. All the while, continuing to charge me monthly service fees. I finally was able to cancel my service and although they had sent me a final paper bill for the amount I allegedly owed, they charged my debit card w/o my consent. I called them to dispute this and they told me to talk to my bank. I disputed the charge w/ my bank and closed my debit card, so DirecTV could not pull anymore money from my account. In the meantime, they have issued a bill for nonreturned equipment, which I still have in my possession. They also advised me they would send me pre-paid packaging which I never received. I would not recommend DirecTV to anyone after this ordeal...

... Show more

Gia

Nov 08, 2010 Bastrop, Texas

Terrible experience with DirecTV equipment return. I had to call them a 2nd time after waiting 2 weeks for a return box to arrive. I finally get one and return the 1 standard receiver via United States Postal Service as it was specifically stated in the directions. USPS then has FedEX pick it up and send it off. The equipment arrived days later in Memphis, TN. 18 days later and less than the 21 days, DirectTV charges me $45 NRF!!!! I'm still fighting with them on the phone to remove this fee. I recommend you keep your return shipping receipt!!!! It sounds like DirectTV has a backlog of processing return equipment. I will never be a customer of theirs again. My contract ends in July 2011.

Dayle

Aug 06, 2010 Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand

Does anyone know the address where to send the DirecTV receivers and remotes back to??
I've been waiting three weeks for a box from them and just want to return myself?
thanks

1-20 of 21 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Direct Tv.
Filing a new complaint about
×